“Very well done. I loved the consistent implementation of key commands.”
“This is like an owner manual on live, If you do not like to read the manuals, this is a great visual representation on almost all of the attributes in live. This tutorial series will help anyone who h...”
In this 6.5-hour Ableton Live 8 tutorial-video by Lead macProVideo.com trainer Bill Burgess, you'll learn incredible tips, tricks, and workflow techniques that will help you become a master of Live 8.
The tutorial begins with an exploration of the Ableton Live 8 interface and a detailed section on setting up your external studio gear to work seamlessly with Live. Once your gear is connected and talking to Live 8, you'll move on to explore file management, working with tempo, and other basics of audio production.
Next, the tutorial gets deep into the killer features of Ableton Live 8, including using Warp Markers to alter the tempo and pitch of loops—the foundation of Live's amazing audio abilities!
You'll then explore recording audio, working with MIDI and Live 8's included instruments, using device racks and adding DSP effects to your song, mixing techniques, and finally, some incredible videos on automating Live so your songs evolve over time.
The tutorial ends with a section on creating live sets in Ableton Live 8. You'll learn how to incorporate the much-hyped APC-40 into your sets, and even explore working with video in your Live shows.
This is a comprehensive tutorial, but you don't need to watch the entire show. Use the detailed menus and keyword search functions to quickly find topics of interest—that's the essence of NonLinear Educating® ... ! Read More...
1Why Ableton Live is The Future of Music (01:35)Preview
- 2Musicians & Producers Start Performing (05:16)
- 3Performers & DJ's Start Producing (05:26)
- 4Which Version of Live (02:03)
- 5Installation & Registration (02:54)
- 6Update Live via The Help Menu (02:44)
- 7Confirm What's Installed (04:35)
- 8Installing Live Packs (05:01)
- 9Open a Live Set (02:00)
- 10Setting Up Audio Interfaces (05:37)
- 11Optimizing Your Audio Interface (06:19)
- 12Playing Instruments with your Computer Keyboard (04:53)
- 13Playing Instruments with External USB Keyboards (05:04)
14Look & Feel (04:45)Preview
- 15The Session View Part 1 (03:20)
- 16The Session View Part 2 (04:39)
- 17The Arrangement View (02:52)
- 18Recording from the Session to the Arrangement (05:14)
- 19The Transport (06:11)
- 20Looping (03:39)
21Navigating the Arrangement View (03:48)Preview
- 22Navigating the Browser (03:09)
- 23Copy, Move & Manage Files (03:46)
- 24Search & Bookmark (03:05)
- 25Loading Sample CD's & Live Sets (03:58)
- 26What You Need to Know About Saving (02:45)
- 27Tap & Nudge Tempo (02:59)
- 28Setting Up Live to Send and Receive Tempo (03:21)
29Audio Analysis & Tempo (03:44)Preview
- 30Setting Up a Cue Mix & a Crossfader (03:49)
- 31Loading Multiple Clips (04:16)
- 32Warp Modes & Preferences 1 (04:36)
- 33Warp Modes & Preferences 2 (03:55)
- 34Understanding Warp Markers 1 (03:43)
- 35Understanding Warp Markers 2 (02:58)
- 36Creative Warp Marks (04:33)
37Creative Warp Modes (04:34)Preview
- 38Quantizing Audio (02:09)
- 39Quantize Audio Using Groove Pool (03:19)
- 40Cropping & Reversing Audio (04:14)
- 41Using Third Party Sample Editors (04:25)
- 42Editing Clip Envelopes (06:15)
- 43Copy, Paste & Un-Linking Envelopes (02:42)
- 44Adding Envelopes From The Groove Pool (02:44)
- 45Scrambling Beats with Envelopes (03:52)
- 46Slice an Audio Clip into a MIDI Instrument (04:00)
- 47Setting Up Inputs, Metronome & Recording Preference... (04:19)
- 48Recording into the Arrangement (02:19)
- 49Loop Recording in the Arrangement (05:20)
- 50Comping Several Takes into One Clip (04:08)
- 51Recording into the Session View (04:40)
- 52Record Using Looper 1 (05:00)
- 53Record Using Looper 2 (03:10)
- 54Record & Resample Audio Between Tracks (04:32)
- 55The Power of Live Devices (04:16)
- 56Loading Instruments & Hot Swapping Sounds (04:42)
- 57Configuring External MIDI Instruments (03:10)
- 58Recording MIDI into the Arrangement (03:27)
- 59Recording MIDI into the Session (04:19)
- 60Overdubbing Quantized MIDI (04:32)
- 61The MIDI Note Editor 1 (04:42)
- 62The MIDI Note Editor 2 (04:41)
- 63Quantizing MIDI & Using the Groove Pool (06:13)
- 64Recording MIDI from One Track to Another (02:35)
- 65MIDI Effects (05:33)
- 66Managing MIDI Files (03:04)
- 67Four Types of Device Racks (04:02)
- 68The Live Devices & the Drag On 1 (03:17)
- 69The Live Devices & the Drag On 2 (03:30)
- 70Navigating Devices & Racks (05:53)
- 71Understanding the Chain List (06:05)
- 72Mapping Macro Controls (05:25)
- 73More Cowbell Using Drum Racks 1 (03:26)
- 74More Cowbell Using Drum Racks 2 (04:04)
- 75Sends, Returns & Understanding Audio Effects (04:37)
- 76Performance Based Effects 1 (04:10)
- 77Performance Based Effects 2 (04:32)
- 78Mapping Plug Ins to Your Controller (05:59)
- 79Recording Audio Effects (05:32)
- 80Master Bus Tools (04:05)
- 81Side Chain Compression (04:29)
- 82Pitch Based Effects: Vocoder (05:56)
- 83Pitch Based Effects: Corpus (02:10)
- 84Navigating The Mixer 1 (05:04)
- 85Navigating The Mixer 2 (03:24)
- 86Grouping, Sub-Mixes & Bussing 1 (04:28)
- 87Grouping, Sub-Mixes & Bussing 2 (04:01)
- 88Editing Regions in the Arrangement (06:43)
- 89Editing Automation in the Arrangement 1 (03:45)
- 90Editing Automation in the Arrangement 2 (03:34)
- 91Mix Down & Exporting (05:49)
- 92Understanding Scenes 1 (05:20)
- 93Understanding Scenes 2 (03:51)
- 94The Akai APC-40 (06:05)
- 95Launch Modes (05:39)
- 96Follow Actions (02:42)
- 97Working with Video & Track Freeze 1 (05:33)
- 98Working with Video & Track Freeze 2 (02:57)
Very well done. I loved the consistent implementation of key commands.
This is like an owner manual on live, If you do not like to read the manuals, this is a great visual representation on almost all of the attributes in live. This tutorial series will help anyone who hits a wall with live and needs more explanation of whats makes "Ableton Live" tick.
wow another great course, ableton demystified 101. Great for the novice and pro alike.
I started this course right after purchasing Live 9 Suite. It had just been released and most of the Live 9 tutorials weren't ready yet, but it covered all of the fundamentals. It Now on to 9!
A comprehensive look at Live 8, explained clearly with wit, vast experience and humour. Can see why Bill is a favourite. Anyone following along will quickly gain a broad understanding of Live 9 too.
Great tutorial , worth the watch, enjoyed the section on how to work with the audio effect in live and how to navigating the mixer.
Great Tutorial on live : ) I have live lite 8 installed right now. thinking about upgrading now, after seeing this tutorial. to get the full power of "LIVE 8".. thanks MPV 4 tha gr8 tutorial
This is a perfect intro to Live 8. Although I've been using Live for a few years, I was soon learning stuff I didn't know. Also, Bill's teaching style and sense of humour instantly made me a fan.
Bill has a way of packing information in while still maintaining a cool calm demeanor. If you watch this entire tutorial you will be light years ahead of most !!!
I couldn't wait to watch these videos. Bill does a fantastic job of walking through all sorts of stuff. As a recent Live purchaser, starting here was a good choice.
i highly recommend this, it got me making music fast, and coming from a background on protools, it really helped me through the learning curve.
Awesome course, very comprehensive for a beginning course. Not difficult at all but flowed pretty well.
Excellent, complete and comprehensive review! Mostly oriented to live performing. Many tricks & tools that would take months to learn are summarized here.
This was a perfect introductory course to Live 8. It has already got me thinking of how this unique and extremely capable DAW will take my production workflow to the next level.
Pretty good.. informative and the instructor has a sense of humor.. :)
This is awesome! Thanks!
Excellent overview of Live 8 and a great learning tutorial for beginners. I learned a lot of nifty tricks that I had no idea were possible in Live. Thanks.
Excellent Work ! Really in depth tutorial ! Bill Burges has shown very nice style of teaching. While watching this tutorial, I was felling as if Bill is taking me by hand and explains in great Details, when necessary, again and again. Though the tutorial is quite long, never the less, I enjoyed till end, listening and studying the course. Bill, thank you very much!
While entirely informative, I don't think that this is as professional or well organized as it could/should be. It seems to go incredibly in depth about random things, and skims over/isn't clear about some of the important basics. While I appreciate the humor being thrown into some situations, the truth of it is that in this series it detracts from the "groove" of learning.
Having purchased some of the excellent Reason 6 tutorials. I decided to buy Ableton Live 8 to go with Reason,the choice of tutorials was a no brainer,MacPro Videos Another excellent tutorial,very detailed,Bill is a laugh with is small voice impressions,making this tutorial fun. A tiny suggestion,is that their is a need for the explation of shortcuts for people using a Windows 7 based PC,but its no problem as I have these on Ableton anyway,but would be nice anyway
Great tutorial - thank you Bill!
An excellent course done in a friendly manner.With lots of tips and tricks. Just what was needed to inject enthusiasm and excitement in to the learning process.A great stepping stone to get you up and running with no fuss. Thank you very much.
Bill Burgess You've learned me a LOT... I was on the point to stop experimenting because i felt so limited With Ableton. After Watching THIS Tutorial I WILL NEVER STOP MAKE MUSIC.. Ableton IS SO FAR ONE OF THE BEST APPLICATIONS I Worked With. I Never Write Reviews or comments or annything like that. BUT THIS DESERVE'S THE BEST REVIEW And the HIGHEST RATING.. SERIOUS.. THANK YOU BILL..
A great tutorial. I'd been working with live for some time, but still, in almost every lesson is something I just did not know!
It's an excellent tutorial. Can highly recommend it.
Nice tutorial. Spent quite a bit of time on setting up. Maybe too much time.
Very nice, would have been lite years behind, there so much to learn and as a "layman", this is very difficult when using Reason/record, Ableton, Maschine, and Komplet 6!! ... Thank you macpro for these, however I use a PC.. LOL ;)
mr. burgess, i love you. as someone that has spent much $$$ and time on pretty much every other "credible" live toot out there, this is, hands down, THE best. bill's charming, every man teaching style and tips are just what i was looking for (and needed). this dude is the antithesis of the uber "sprokets" tone of the owner's manual and the "live can do all this but we're not gonna actually apply any real world usage here..." of every other vid i have PURCHASED and is now on ebay. shame. plus this is one of few toots that actually uses quality music. i understand the copyright issues but toot producers need to understand how grating bad music ad nauseum destroys the learning process. i don't mean to overstate but THIS is the way a potentially off-putting, clinical DAW like live SHOULD be taught. i almost gave live up completely for logic but bill has brought me back. (logic rocks btw) more from bill, please.
So far, SO GOOD... I have learned a lot from these tutorials. They have opened up LIVE to be much more enjoyable to use. and the instructor is really good. not rushed and entertaining.
All I can say is this is a great, in-depth tutorial that after watching, I feel well trained. This will be a resource I come back to whenever I need help. It also helped me appreciate Ableton more in showing the many features that are hard to naturally come across. Thanks
Absolutely great tutorial for beginners or people who got stuck after a first phase of excitement in Ableton Live. The lessons not only give a in-dept view into the software, but also provides a lot of small tricks and short-cuts to features that were hidden from my up to now. I'm looking forward to more tutorials from Bill Burgess!
Hey everyone, I just want to say that this tutorial rocks! Big thumbs to Bill. I think that anyone who wants to learn live 8 needs it. Respect.
If I were to get the kind of training found in this tutorial through personal consultation or lessons it would range in the $1000s of dollars. This isn't a "quick start" tutorial... this is an EXTREMELY detailed look into Live... Imagine reading the entire Ableton Live manual (minus the anxiety and headache involved). That's what I feel like I've done after watching this tutorial. All I can say is: I hope MPV continues their amazing vision with many more Live, Logic and Audio recording tutorials in the future.
Although you lust for new information about your favorite software hoping to glean tips and tricks often video tutorials will put you to sleep - Not so will Bill's spin on LIVE his insights are awesome and his quips and humor keep the show moving! The best in the biz as far as I'm concerned.
Bill is an ace, I'm eagerly anticipating the 'live with Live' tutorial. Thanks.
Best and quickest way to get over the learning curve. Check it out, you won't be disappointed.
If you are new or even an intermediate user of Ableton live, this will definetly teach you the basics and then some. I have used Ableton since verison 4 but never really liked it until now, WOW! There is so much you can do, remixing is such a breeze, sampling, fastest program hands down, just drag and drop the part you want to use from and musical peice, I can go on and on about Abletons's capabilities. A Dj's Dream tool and a producers helper, rewired with Logic or Pro Tools this is a perfect marriage. Excellent tutorial, good job!
I usually don't write reviews. Why? Well because I'm lazy. But I feel this tutorial deserves a response. Bill is hilarious. I laughed out loud several times watching this tutorial. He also does a great job of explaining the software. After watching this tutorial I am able to really create some great music with Ableton. Now I just need the Live with Live tutorial to come out!
I am just through the basic steps but I have to say what an awesome tutorial. I love the upbeat friendly style of the tutor. Great job Mr. Burgess! I am looking forward to more tutorials on Ableton Live. This is an excellent way to learn. Not just from a teacher who may or may not know the software well enough, but from a master who has a massive amount of experience as a musician/producer.
I really enjoyed this tutorial. It was well structured with great quality, but most of all Bill Burgess has a real enthusiasm for Live and that takes it to the next level. His teaching style is very enjoyable and I hope he does many more MPV Live tutorials in the future. Excellent !
I'm brand new to Ableton Live and started this tutorial with virtually little to no knowledge of the product. Bill Burgess is definitely one of the best presenters I have heard. It never got old. It took me a few days/late nights to get through it all (I paused a lot and followed along in Live) but it was well worth it.
Initially I had some trouble with getting ned to work as I am running windows vista 64, crappiest os ever :) That being said this tutorial is amazing!!! The instructor knows what he's talking about, shows lots of cool techniques and is actually a great musician. Finding this combination in a video tutorial is very difficult. Enough said buy this tutorial if you want to learn Live and be inspired.
Bill makes the whole thing fun. His presentation of the material is concise and useful. Thanks for the jump start guys.
A+ to Bill for this tutorial. All was clear except some parts on Warping. I thought there could have been a little more basic Warping info. Maybe it's me, but I am still a little unclear about all the ways Warping could be used. All in all, this is a very informative tutorial and well worth the bucks. When is the next installment on Live 8???
A great refresh with a new instructor that has driving and fun teaching skills...
All & all a great vid, very educational, Ableton is definitively a lot of fun to learn.
Great overview video...
A good starter video for those who are unfamiliar with ableton.
Great menu structure and imformative and easy to understand tutorials, highly recommended as usual!!
Just started on this, and I am at last understanding the rational behind session & arrangement view, and what to use when - big brain block gone! Thanks Bill - I will now begin to use this program properly!
Start learning today with AskVideo
Get instant, full access to this course now! We offer 2 ways to learn.
- Library Access
- Earn Achievements & Badges
- Offline Viewing Available
- $25 $15/mth
- Stream All 1113 Courses
- Download Single Course