Making Music With Game Controllers
Matt Moldover • 21 videos • 72 minutes • No reviews
Did you know that joysticks and gamepads can make awesome MIDI controllers? Learn how in this course with “the Godfather of Controllerism", Moldover!
Status: Available | Released: Dec 13th, 2017There are a lot of good reasons to use gaming controllers to make music. They’re not too expensive, they can really ignite your creative juices in the studio, they’re a lot of fun… not to mention they look totally cool on stage! And there are so many of them to choose from: Dance pads, Atari 2600 joysticks, Nintendo’s Power Gloves, Wii Remotes, steering wheels… In this course, Matt Moldover (the man who invented the terms “controllerism” and ”controllerist”) reveals his non-traditional approach for “playing” music with game controllers.
After giving an overview of the gaming controllers used in the course, Moldover explains the important concepts and terminology required to start making music with gaming controllers. You learn how to hook up the controllers to your computer, and how to translate HID (Human Interface Device) commands into MIDI commands that your DAW can understand. Moldover also demonstrates how to get creative with MIDI mapping inside Ableton Live, using macros, racks, and MIDI devices, and how to use Max for Live for what he calls “data massaging”. Next, using plenty of musical examples, Moldover reveals all his secrets … You learn how to pitch shift vocals with a game steering wheel, how to trigger samples and loops from a dance pad, how to control an arpeggiator with a Wii Remove, how to use Arduino to create glitch effects, and a lot more!
So watch this course and get deep inside info from the “Godfather of Controllerism" himself, Matt Moldover, and start “playing” music with your game controllers!
2Controller Demos (03:25)Preview
- 3Why Use Gaming Controllers (03:29)
- 4Communication Protocols (02:15)
- 5Software Translation with MultiControl (04:43)
- 6Custom Translation and More with Max (04:31)
- 7Hardware Interfaces (02:53)
- 8Musical Applications Overview (03:17)
- 9MIDI Mapping with Ableton Live (04:39)
- 10Data Massaging with Max (05:33)
- 11Data Massaging with Ableton Live (01:46)
- 12Vocal Effects Steering Wheel (02:25)
- 13Sound Triggering Dance Pad (04:52)
- 14Arpeggiator Conduction Motion Controller (06:29)
- 15Playing with Motion Sensors (02:44)
- 16Joystick Hacking with Arduino (03:15)
- 17Arduino Programming and Glitch Effects (03:03)
- 18Glove Hacking with Brain Jr. (02:58)
- 19Music Gloves - A Fist Full of Filters (02:43)
- 20Glove Mapping with Ableton Live (03:05)
21Full Performance Demo (01:54)Preview
Reviews (0)This course does have any reviews yet.
Know someone that needs this training?
Send a personalized note and tell them about this course.
Start learning today with AskVideo
Get instant, full access to this course now! We offer 2 ways to learn.
- Library Access
- Earn Achievements & Badges
- Offline Viewing Available
- $25 $15/mth
- Stream All 1147 Courses
- Download Single Course