Reason 6 209
Thor: Master Of All Synths
G.W. Childs IV • 42 videos • 154 minutes •
Lightning strikes and thunder rolls as G.W. Childs explores the vast depths of Reason’s awesome Master of All Synths: Thor!
While Thor is an extremely advanced digital synthesizer, it is built looking back at basic analog synthesizer modules. G.W. takes you through Thor’s complex kingdom, knob by knob, diving beneath the GUI to uncover the sonic mysteries of this divine virtual synth.
If you're new to sound design, this couldn't be a better time to learn : as G.W. explores the mysteries of Thor you'll learn important sound design principles and see how synthesizer modules worktogether to create sound.
If you’re an experienced synthesist this tutorial will inspire you to dig deeper into the depths of this deep synth. So Join G.W. on an aural journey into the kingdom of the mythological Master of All Synths: Thor!
This tutorial, originally created in Reason 5, is forward-compatible with Reason 6 and beyond.
macProVideo.com has one of the largest and most complete library of Reason tutorials on the planet. Subscribe to watch them online or build yourself a downloadable bundle to save up to 50% off the list price!
Check out all our Reason 6 tutorials below:
1Introduction of Thor (02:34)Preview
2Modular Synthesis Concept (02:23)Preview
3Opening Thor (00:40)Preview
- 4Loading a patch (01:39)
- 5Thor’s Unique Polyphony Settings (02:50)
- 6Keyboard Modes (02:44)
- 7Portamento (02:00)
- 8Rotaries and Buttons (01:29)
- 9Sound Design - Quick Bass Patch (03:44)
- 10Explanation of Oscillators in Synthesis (01:55)
- 11Changing Oscillators In Thor (01:13)
- 12Analog Oscillator (03:35)
- 13Wavetable Oscillator (03:02)
- 14Phase Modulation Oscillator (03:32)
- 15FM Pair Oscillator (02:26)
- 16Multi Oscillator (03:08)
- 17Noise Oscillator (03:57)
- 18Modulation Capabilities between Oscillators (03:07)
- 19Routing Secondary and Third Oscillators (02:18)
- 20Sound Design: Basic Multi-Oscillator Patch (08:40)
- 21Explanation of Filters within Synthesis (02:20)
- 22Filter Slots and their Strategies (03:51)
- 23Low Pass Oscillator (02:20)
- 24State Variable Filter (03:17)
- 25Comb Filter (03:32)
- 26Formant Filter (03:59)
- 27Envelopes (04:10)
- 28Filter Drive (01:12)
- 29The Shaper (02:09)
- 30Sound Design Exercise: Filter Kick (08:19)
- 31Introduction to LFOs (03:08)
- 32Thor’s Unique LFOs (01:13)
- 33Introduction to the Modulation Matrix (04:53)
- 34Envelopes can be LFOs Too - Global Envelope (04:39)
- 35Assignable Inputs and Outputs (04:14)
- 36Sound Design- Thor Effect Combinator (13:29)
- 37Introduction of Thor’s Sequencer (02:40)
- 38More than Just a Melodic Source (03:05)
- 39Sequencer Modes (06:12)
- 40Sound Design - Thor as Arp Like Device (09:14)
- 41Assignable Modulation Outputs in Thor and Sequencer... (07:36)
- 42Conclusion (00:53)
Basic course with a few helpful tips to get you going...good to learn about the matrix system.
Thor offers tons of possibilities and this course helped me understood basics applications as well as more advanced stuff.
Amazing course. Covers a moderate amount of synth information, modulation routing, sequencing, and goes into further detail about shaping your own sounds. Great introduction to basic synth procedures.
These type of tutorials always amaze me!! Verrry complete with a lottttta great tips for sound design and creative possibilities! Great instruction Mr. G Dub! Good gig MacPro
A lot fantastic lessons on Thor, especially some really inspirational features that you could quite possibly come up with a quick idea on implementing those ideas into your tracks... nice one G.W!
Fantastic and very useful story about Thor. Last 4 part are simply amazing and inspiriting! I just want more. Thank you.
This was an amazing review and tutorial on this beast of a synth. I finally got how to tame this thing. Forget using subtractor or malstom purely because its easier just to route cv and audio behind them. If you don't know how to use this synth.... You will soon.
Start learning today with AskVideo
Get instant, full access to this course now! We offer 2 ways to learn.
- Library Access
- Earn Achievements & Badges
- Offline Viewing Available
- Stream All 804 Courses
- Download Single Course